Thursday, May 7, 2015

Learning To Live With Lies

Sorting through a cupboard in my den today, I stumbled upon an old journal.  As I flipped through the pages, I found this poem that I etched late one night during a very dark time.

The pages leading up to the poem, are the accounts of an incident between two of my kids.  One that I remember well!

Not a poet by nature or practice, this shows how fiercely I am wrestling with the ability to love my kids, forgive them and continue to work towards their health and healing, while surrounded by lies on every side.





Truth slips away, a friendship strained.
Not speaking, an uncomfortable silence...tears.
Floating...drifting....

Self.
What is self without truth?
Am I true?
Do I know how to live without it?

You lie.
Slashing at me as if I'm a robber in the night.
What do I steal from you, that you fight me with lies?

I'm bleeding; dying, but you don't see it.

Here to help you.
Here is my hand.
Again, I offer you all that I have.

Will you hurt me?

Oh heart of mine, can you keep beating when the breath is gone and your blood is poured out?

Oh heart of mine, where is your power to forgive?

Reach out.
Reach out and LIVE!

Trust is not in truth, dear heart.
Love is not in honesty but beyond....way beyond!
You will find it living in the shadows with hope or floating on the clouds of forgiveness.

Go, go my heart!  Do not stay here in the dark!

No comments: